We all know that homes require time and attention. It is really important to maintain all the moving parts making sure that everything is in good working order. But I believe for your sense of well being you need to update your home so that it works for you and your unique way of living. I think that your home should give you joy and peace and act as a sanctuary for you and your family.
So, whether you are wanting to fix a problem, make it more functional, or update the aesthetics, remodeling your home can seem like a daunting project. I completely understand! We do construction and remodeling projects everyday and with over 20 years in this industry, I GET IT!
We love helping our clients with remodeling projects! The first thing you need to do is plan what you are going to spend money on. Here are the things you will need to plan your budget.
- The first step in preparing your remodeling budget is – You need to think of the scope of work. Don’t underestimate how important this step is. If you want to take a trip somewhere, you would need to know all the places you are going. The same is true here. If you add things along the way it may not be as efficient and will probably cost more. SO, think through everything that is on your wish list to change. Decide if this project is a refresh where you are changing out materials and finishes. Or is this a major remodel where you are moving walls and replacing everything.
- The second step in preparing your remodeling budget is- group your projects by priority and possible phases. You might think it sounds great to get it all done at once, but your wallet and sanity might say otherwise. I only recommend this when you are NOT living in the home.
- The third step in preparing your remodeling budget is- to consider if you are in the low, mid, or high range for the type of project you would like to do. Ask yourself, ‘Do I have expensive taste?’
Here are some examples of Low, mid, and upscale ranges for a Kitchen Remodel.
LOW COST REMODELING
*Stocked cabinets standard overlay doors/drawers
*granite or laminate
*4″ granite backsplash
*Re-using some appliances
*Full overlay doors /drawers
*Tile backsplash under cabinet standard appliances
*Inset or Full overlay doors/drawers
*Marble or Quartz Backsplash
*Tile to the ceiling
*Paneled luxury appliances.
4. The fourth step in preparing your remodeling budget is – determine what professionals need to be involved and get your dream team aligned! While we have folks that find us first or a builder refers them to us, we find the most successful projects are when all necessary design/build professionals are involved from the beginning. Once you assemble your team, get everyone together to talk through the project goals, timeline, and who will be doing what. With clear expectations, you will have everyone working on what they do best without starting over or repeating some steps. This could be costly to pay for some services twice. Whoever you call first, find out if they have the structural engineer, designer, or architect that you will need to complete your project.
5. The fifth step in preparing your remodeling budget is – Get all ballpark pricing from the design/build pros that will be working on your project. A ballpark is getting you in a certain neighborhood of expenses. This is a guess based on squarefootages, past experience, and what you hope to achieve. This ballpark estimate is a guess and is NOT real numbers until you pick our all the things!
6 The sixth step in preparing your remodeling budget is – select EVERYTHING before you begin. DO NOT build the boat as it’s floating along! Get everything designed and selected before you begin. This way you can make choices against your budget to see what where you can splurge and where you can save. When you decide as you go, you will end up spending more. Usually you will have to sacrifice something you really wanted because it will take longer than you have. So if you can plan ahead, it will avoid not only costly mistakes, but having to choose things based on time and not style, etc.
I have something to help you with budgeting your Remodeling Projects! Sign up to get our Kitchen Remodeling Planner! It is chocked full of this information and more!
Another really cool resource that I like to refer to when talking to our clients is this Cost vs Value report. Once you enter your zip code it will give you averages of several remodeling costs in your home and what you can expect to pay in your area, what is average for the region, and the whole country! It is awesome! It gives different levels of mid and high-end remodeling, and it will also give you the value you put back into your home. Check it out here!
If you would like to talk to our Design Team about your upcoming project, set up a Discovery Call today! We would love to chat with you!